Confession: When I first saw the recipe for these brownie muffins on the Beachbody blog I was both intrigued and disgusted! 😉 The very idea of turning beans into a chocolaty dessert was somewhat repulsive to my sensibilities of what foods belong together. Ha!
But I’m always up for a culinary challenge (sorta) so I grabbed a can of beans and threw this together. They didn’t “puff” nearly as much as the photo in the recipe, but that could be due to our higher elevation… or anything really. Puffiness aside, the first bite into one of these made a believer out of me in the power of beans! 😉 Ha ha!! They were very rich and delicious and totally chocolaty! You’d never know if you didn’t make them yourself that they are made out of Chick Peas!
I’m not sure I’m ready to dive into the gluten-free pool, but I do know that I need to limit my refined carbs intake to feel at my best. So it’s nice to have a dessert recipe I can fall back on and know it’s going to taste good, but not leave me with a tummy ache!
Here’s the recipe for your own fun flourless mission, should you choose to accept it! 😉
1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained, rinsed
3 large eggs
½ cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Prepare 12 muffin cups by lining with muffin papers or coating with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
3. Place chickpeas, eggs, maple syrup, cocoa powder, baking soda, coconut oil, and extract in blender or food processor; cover. Blend until smooth.
4. Divide batter among 12 prepared muffin cups.
5. Top each muffin with about four chocolate chips; push into batter.
6. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool completely and enjoy!