IMG_5303

The flock has been in their new coop for a few weeks now. They seem to really like it! And even though I had to chase birds out of roosting in the built in nesting boxes the first night they all have more or less figure out that the roost is for, well… roosting! 😉

Stuart reused lumber from when we took the carport off of the house, as well as siding and roofing that had been left over from another project. So as building projects go this one wasn’t as pricy! I love it when we can use stuff that we already have! It makes it feel so much more green, at least. 😉

Untitled

The structure itself went up pretty quickly, but it’s taken awhile to get it all ready for birds because life doesn’t always move slowly enough for extra building projects.

Untitled

The goats believed it was a house for them, and fair enough since the chickens were in their space, but we did our best to keep them out. Even so, they spent enough time in there that it STILL smells like that buck when I walk into the coop. Blah! Oh that buck smell! If you’ve never encountered it… let me say you don’t actually want to! 😉

IMG_4351

We have some more windows that we could potentially add to the coop, but for now the one big window seems to be doing the trick and I think keeping it a little more closed in for winter is a good idea! However, the shack that the hens stayed in last winter was far from cozy so I’m sure this coop will keep them all far warmer.

IMG_5298

I’ve been so pleased at how cold hearty the chickens actually are! I think they honestly have a harder time dealing with the heat than the cold. Plus most of ours have the little pea combs and those are really the only parts of them that are susceptible to extreme cold.

IMG_5320

The birds explored all around the roosts and the nesting boxes the first time we put them in, and they also had a grand time pecking around their newly moved fenced run. Since that’s where the goats had been there was a lot of good stuff to pick through, ha!

IMG_5335

IMG_5346

IMG_5336

Stuart has since completed the hinged lid for the nesting boxes. The girls seem to be slacking off on their egg production which I kind of expected. Moving animals is a stress for them and things like milk and eggs will be effected when that happens. I’m hoping they’ll get back into their groove and that we won’t need to add any supplemental light to keep them laying through the cold months! I’m just happy that it’s all coming together in our barnyard! 🙂